RM-6 DIY Ribbon Mic Kit with Assembled Motor
€298.00 excl. VAT
RM-6 is a premium quality DIY ribbon mic kit that you can build yourself.
No previous DIY experience required. Very simple assembly process and beginner-friendly step-by-step illustrated assembly manual. Assembled motor with advanced magnetic circuitry.
RM-6 Premium DIY Ribbon Mic kit.
What is the difference between the RM-5 and RM-6 DIY Ribbon Mic kits? – it is the number one question I am being asked since I began posting the information about the new RM-6 DIY Ribbon Mic Kit. So, I’ve decided to start with answering it. RM-5 and RM-6 are two different designs, they just share the same type of body. So, the main differences are the following:
- RM-5 is a big ribbon mic with 2″ ribbon, RM-6 is a small ribbon mic with 1″ ribbon
- As typical for shorter ribbons, RM-6 has less distortion and sounds more natural way
- RM-6 sounds flatter, while RM-5 tends to feel slightly sharp
- RM-6 has significantly higher output signal level, at least +3dB comparing to RM-5
- RM-6 has much lower magnetic flux leakage, there is nearly no attraction between two microphone standing side-bi-side
- RM-6 motor comes with 1.8u ribbon (1.2u optional), while RM-5 motor comes with 2.5u ribbon
- RM-6 comes with RTX-28 toroidal transformer optimized for thinner foil gauges
- My opinion is that RM-6 is superior for recording the acoustic instruments (listen to the samples below!)
Take a Listen!
Anyway, we can discuss the technical differences for hours, but the most important question is still the one that just cannot be answered in words – How it sounds?? So, enjoy the videos below and don’t forget to switch to HD! The instruments (and vocals) in these videos were recorded using RM-6 Ribbon Microphones (with standard 1.8u ribbons) in Blumlein setup. You can find more instrument videos at the bottom of the page!
RM-6 DIY Ribbon Mic Kit is the result of all the experience and knowledge we have gained during the years of manufacturing and improving our parts and kits. The development process of RM-6 microphone took nearly two years starting from the first sketches and ending with the units of the first prototype run.
The RM-6 DIY Ribbon Mic Kit features precision machined and individually hand-tuned RE-323 ribbon microphone motor with a 1″ long ribbon made from highest quality Japanese 1.8 micron thick aluminum foil and high-grade NdFeB magnets. Moreover, the motor was designed with the help of magnetic flux analysis software in order to prevent the excessive saturation, reduce the flux leakage by around ten times comparing to RE-254 motor (RM-5 kit) and increase the flux density in the ribbon gap resulting in significantly higher output signal level
The motor comes assembled!
The RTP-28 toroidal transformer of our own design tuned for the higher impedance of thinnest foils gauges makes a perfect match with the motor revealing the great presence effect and preserving the clarity of sound.
Bodies are individually machined by a local company from hand selected stainless steel tubing of finest grades with attention to the details and mechanically matte-brushed for our signature appearance. Our own original XLR receptacle is CNC carved right in the bottom cap and male XLR insert with gold-plated pins is included. The Bumblebee logo is engraved with a fiber laser, so it’s nearly impossible to damage it.
What exactly is included?
Everything you need to make a classy modern ribbon microphone:
- RE-323 Ribbon Mic Motor with 1.8u ribbon
- RTX-28 Toroidal Output Transformer
- Matt-polished stainless steel body with all the hardware – caps, screws, grill
- XLR insert with gold-plated pins.
- Illustrated Assembly Manual
Check out the detailed assembly manual with every step well-described and clearly illustrated with photographs. Yes, this kit is easy enough to DIY for any person, even without any experience in electronics.
- Acoustic principle: pressure-gradient
- Polar pattern: bi-directional / figure-eight
- Circuit type: passive
- Recommended load impedance: > 2000 Ohms
- Frequency response: 35 – 14.000 Hz approx.
- Output connector: 3-pin male XLR
- Dimensions: D 1.10″ (28 mm), L 7.68″ (195 mm)
- The shockmount is not included!
Take a Listen to Other Recording Samples:
You may also like…
- Ribbon Mic DIY Kits
- €398.00 excl. VAT
- Rated 5.00 out of 5
- Add to cart