Bumblebee Bb-P26 Ribbon Mic Booster DIY Kit
Have you ever experienced the lack of gain when recording with ribbon microphones? Or maybe the amplification was enough, but the cranked gain pot resulted in lots of background noise? I think most of us have been there, myself as well, when I was beginning to experiments with ribbon mics.
However, now there is a solution, which doesn’t cost a little fortune like premium preamps, suitable for ribbon mics. This solution is a Bumblebee Bb-P26 Ribbon Mic Booster. For a tiny fraction of the cost it will give you the input stage of an ultimate boutique preamp. As you might be aware, the input stage is the most critical part of any audio device. It determines the quality of the sound and the noise floor to the greatest extent.
With Bumblebee Bb-P26 Ribbon Mic Booster you can make awesome ribbon recordings even with budget audio interfaces or portable recorders. And, of course, you can also use it with your dynamic mics.
Bumblebee Bb-P26 features the fully balanced circuitry. As a result you have a near-perfect EMI immunity, like if your microphone cable was never divided. The amplification input stages are designed using ultra low-noise NOS transistors for the lowest noise floor. The circuitry uses audio-friendly C0G/NP0 ceramic capacitors and mechanical components – XLR sockets and a switch – of premium quality.
What is Included
- All the electronic parts – resistors, capacitors, diodes
- High quality switch for gain selection
- 2SA970BL ultra low-noise transistors
- BC547C bipolar transistors
- Neutrik connectors – input and output XLR sockets
- PCB (printed circuit board)
- Pre-drilled and punched, powder coated and silkscreened enclosure
- All the required screws
- Works with passive ribbon and dynamic microphones
- Gain: +26dB /+6dB
- Powered by +48V phantom power
- Power consumption: 6 – 8 mA
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 141 x 75 x 45 mm
- Weight: 300 gr / 10 oz